Friday, May 18, 2012

Weekend BBQ: Chipotle Marinade

This Chipotle Marinade is perfect for a weekend BBQ! Whip it up tonight and let it sit on chicken overnight for for a tasty Saturday or Sunday BBQ. As most of my close friends know, Chrissy Teigen's So Delushious blog is one of my favorites. After contemplating for several months, I finally decided it was time to try out her "put on anything" Chipotle Marinade.  After work last week, I went to Ralph's to pick up the essential ingredients: chipotle peppers and limes.  I bought two cans of chipotle chiles not knowing how many were in each can (there were 13 in one can!).  Since the recipe calls for two chiles and is supposed to be spicy, I decided to multiply the other ingredients by 7 to make a large batch of the marinade with the 13 chiles since the original recipe seemed like an awfully small amount (after all, you can put it on anything) and I would have probably just thrown the rest of the chiles in the trash if I didn't use them right away.

Here's what you need:
    • 2 chipotle chiles in adobo
    • 3 tablespoons tequila or vodka (I forgot this ingredient in the picture below, but doesn't everyone have a bottle or two in their freezer at all times?!)
    • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    • 1 tablespoon ketchup
    • 1 tablespoon adobo sauce, from chipotle can
    • 1 clove garlic, chopped
    • 2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil


      Add the ingredients together in the blender:



      Looking tasty yet...?





      Blended together below.  The texture should almost be fluffy.



      Put a couple chicken breasts in a ziploc with the marinade and let them sit over night.



      In the end, there was a lot of marinade! I put some of it on top of two chicken breasts to marinate (I checked out the chicken thighs and drums as Chrissy uses and just couldn't bring myself to buy them).  I didn't end up cooking the chicken for a few days so I brought it to my boyfriend's house thinking we could BBQ together.  Long story short, I ended up leaving the chicken in his freezer and he cooked them without me (that was almost a deal breaker, lucky for him he's cute)!  He said they were delicious, but I will have to post an update next time I try the marinade...in the mean-time one of you will have to try it and send me pictures/comments/mouth-watering details.  I swear if you read Chrissy Teigen's blog post you will want to make this tonight!

      Find the full recipe here: Chrissy Teigen's Chipotle Marinade 

      No comments:

      Post a Comment