Thursday, May 17, 2012

Featured Artist: Laurel Scribner

Laurel is an amazing artist. I went to one of her shows last year and it blew my socks off! I really wanted to share her work on the blog, so I asked her for some of her favorite pieces and a short bio. Laurel loves supporting local artists and you can always find her around LA at a gallery or checking out new shows. She is inspired by the quirks of LA, old film (she thinks Hitchcock is a genius) and traveling (she always has her camera glued to her and takes amazing and memorable pictures - as evident by her Facebook page). Anywhere new is exciting to her, especially nature because she thinks it's important to get out from under florescent lighting. Her boo Jody and dog Ralph are also a big source of her creativity and inspiration. Check out some pictures of Ralph at the bottom, he is adorable!

Also, you can go to Laurel's Etsy Shop where you will find affordable, super cute, original prints she has for sale.


A word form the artist: 

I'm an illustrator, graphic designer and printmaker. I work as a graphic designer at Walt Disney Imagineering creating signage for the Disney theme park. Being a Disney fan, I'm working my dream job. I also make time for my personal work as well. When I was in college I took a book arts class and learned to make linocuts. Since then, it's become one of my favorite mediums. Linocuts are simply blocks of linoleum carved with the image you'd like to see. Once carved, you cover it with ink and press onto paper...basically like a giant, hard stamp. I love linocuts because they have such a rich, nostalgic feel to them. Even the most simplistic designs can take a lot of thought and it's always fun to see the final prints. This year I've been creating one linocut each month based on a different scene of LA. This is a great way to keep my creativity flowing and make original affordable art.







Puppy Inspiration:




No comments:

Post a Comment