Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Photo Display: Clothes Pins


I found this idea on Design Sponge while I was researching ideas for a headboard. It's a cool, inexpensive and fun way to display photos. I dig it because it allows me to see photos I love everyday that used to live in a shoe box in my closet. If you have any empty walls and aren't sure what to do with them, this is a great way to decorate and add some fun, personal touches without breaking the piggy bank.

My mom recently gave me a box full of old photos from my childhood. I was so excited and had a great time going through all of them (brought back some great memories) but then didn't have anywhere to put them.  It makes me happy that I get to see some of them everyday now - and its a lot better use than sitting in that box in the closet. I also threw some newer pictures and even my friend Jamie's save the date card (I had to use it because it was so cute) into the mix!


What you will need:
  • box of old photos
  • approx. 10 clothes pins (found them on Amazon)
  • roll of twine (any hardwood store)
  • hammer
  • 2 large nails

Best part: Cost is under $10

First, get your hammer and nails. Choose your desired height (make sure to account for the length of the photos underneath) and then put each nail on either side of the wall (you can use a level to make sure they are exactly even, or measure the height of the nails from the floor up, but I just eyeballed it).

Second, you are going to measure the twine based on the distance between the two nails. You want to leave about 2 feet extra of twine when you cut it so that it is loose when tied and there is still enough twine for the bows.

Next, tie a bow with the twine around the first nail. When you tie around the second nail make sure there is some slack in the center so that the twine droops down slightly.


Once the twine is secured cut the leftover twine if there is any. I left some hanging, but only about 6 inches on each side. Attach the clothes pins onto the twine. I left plenty of space between each clothes pin so that my pictures would not touch. However, the amount of pins you use is personal preference and will also depend on the size of the wall you are using and size of the pictures/artwork you are displaying.


Finally, add your favorite pictures!






 Voila!


Please send us a picture if you try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment