Wednesday, May 23, 2012

DIY Project: Party Chalk Wine Glasses

Have you ever had people over to your house and gotten your wine glasses mixed up? You set your glass down, walk around (do a lap or two, maybe bust a move) and then when you come back you don't know if the glass to your right is yours or the person standing next to you. This happens to me ALL of the time. It doesn't help that I hate germs (cooties - sick!).

I've seen this idea of a couple of different places (mostly Pinterest) and have really been wanting to try it out. I had some free time this weekend so I decided it was finally time to get down and dirty with some chalk board paint and wine glasses. It took a couple of hours, but will take more time if you use my advice below and do multiple coats. The best part of this is that you get the fun of decorating and you always know which glass is yours (Winning). I tested the process out with wine glasses from the 99 cent store (yes, they are plastic) but you can also do this to nicer glasses, which I will eventually do.


What you will need:

* Set of wine glasses
* Chalk board paint (can be found at Lowe's - Roughly $15 for a quart)
* Painters tape (also Lowe's or any hardware store)
* Paint brush
* Chalk (I only used white, but colored chalk would be fab too)




I also bought some paint crystals to put into my paint to make some of them sparkle! I haven't decided if I like the plain or the sparkled ones better.

Step 1: Make sure that you have newspaper or something under your glasses before you begin so that paint doesn't get onto the surface you are painting on. Begin by wrapping the painter's tape around the mid-point of the stem of the glasses.



Step 2: Paint the bottom half of the glasses. There is a fine line between completely covering the glass so that it is solid and having the paint too thin. I would suggest doing a thinner application and once that dries going back over it with another coat (I did one thick coat and it came out a little bit chunky in some areas). If you are adding sparkles now is the time to do it. You simply mix the Paint Crystals in with the chalk board paint and the glass is blinged out!



Step 3: Once completely dry, carefully remove the Painters tape and write something on your glass! All you have to do to remove the chalk is wipe with a wet paper towel.


Now I have a great excuse to have some friends over to drink wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment