Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Mexican Quinoa with Black Beans

When I first heard about Meatless Monday I thought it was a great idea!  Since I don't cook meat very often, it's perfect for me. So when I stumbled upon the healthy meatless Mexican meal ideas on Fab, Fit, Fun I was super excited to kick start my Meatless Monday tradition!

The first recipe I came across was Mexican Quinoa with Black Beans and I decided I NEEDED to try it. It was a little bit of a challenge because it required using two unfamiliar things: a Crock Pot (or Slow Cooker) and Quinoa.  Overall this was healthy and relatively easy so I will definitely make it again.

While at Trader Joe's (my happy place) shopping for the ingredients, I decided to add two things that weren't in the original recipe: corn and onions.  Besides those additions, I followed the recipe almost exactly.

What you will need: 
1 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped (I used green, the original recipe looks like they used red)
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes (or a 14.5 ounce can, do not drain)
1 1/2 cups pre-cooked black beans (or a 14.5 ounce can, rinsed)
1 tablespoon veggie bouillon
1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed well
Salt and pepper to taste, if needed
I added: about 8 ounces canned corn (drained), 1/2 yellow onion (chopped), red pepper flakes  

Strongly recommended: colby jack cheese, sour cream, avocado, and salsa (essential Mexican meal toppers)


First, I chopped the veggies:


Then I added everything to the Crock Pot: 

Turned it to low heat and let it cook overnight.
(yes, this Crock Pot is ancient, my Grandma gave it to me)



Luckily (however unfortunate), I had to be up at 6:30am for a conference call, so I had the perfect amount of time to add the quinoa once I woke up (too sleepy for a picture) and enough time to clean up my mess and bring it with me for lunch on Monday!


For the final touch I melted some cheese on top when I re-heated it and served it with a side of salsa, avocado and sour cream.  Always turning the healthy meal a little un-healthy, but oh so delicious.  :)

Let us know if you make the Mexican Quinoa and what you think!

Recipe courtesy of Fab, Fit, Fun and The Vegan Slow Cooker

No comments:

Post a Comment