Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Lemon Pasta with Capers, Tomatoes and Spinach

This bowl of yumminess is an adaptation of Prevention's Bow Tie Pasta with Spinach, Tomato and Olives. It is very similar to my go-to pasta dish - noodle of your choice plus mozzeralla, basil and tomatoes with garlic and crushed red peppers (mmm, delicious!). This recipe is great because I absolutely love capers, but besides Chicken Piccata I can't seem to find another dish I like them in.  Since I had all of the ingredients except olives and needed to use my tomatoes, the time had come to whip this dish up!

Necessary ingredients:
  • pasta of your choice
  • olive oil
  • crushed red peppers (if you want it to spice it up)
  • tomatoes (I prefer cherry tomatoes)
  • spinach (I used frozen)
  • capers
  • fresh lemon juice
  • black pepper
  • parmesean cheese


First, put the desired amount of spinach (I used about a cup) in a microwave safe bowl and thaw it in the microwave according to package directions (use fresh spinach if you prefer, but I didn't because it makes me sad to see the fresh spinach wilt down to such a little amount).  Then bring a pot of water to boil and cook noodles according to package directions.

Once the noodles have started cooking, add some olive oil to a pan (low to medium heat). Once it warms up, add the garlic and crushed red peppers and cook until garlic starts to brown.


 While that is cooking, chop the tomatoes.


After the garlic has started to brown, add the cherry tomatoes to the pan and stir.


Add the spinach and capers, stir, then add the cooked noodles and lemon juice (the more, the better) and stir again. 


Lastly, divide into serving bowls and top with Parmesan cheese (or put leftovers in Tupperware for lunch for the next day).

If you want more precise directions or measurements, please use the Prevention recipe above.  Let us know if you try it and how you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment