Monday, May 21, 2012

Meatless Monday: Cajun Corn Chowder



Thank you Twitter for leading me to this recipe for Vegan Chipotle Corn Chowder!  I have never made a recipe from Haylie Duff's Real Girl's Kitchen blog before, and I'm not quite convinced that Haylie Duff is a "real girl," but I really liked this recipe.

The recipe looked simple and I was craving soup, but I decided that I wasn't in the mood for the chipotle chile taste so I switched it up with some Cajun seasoning instead (which is also great on eggs!). So here we have Vegan Cajun Corn Chowder.  I don't want to brag, but it came out great (especially with the chopped red bell pepper on top)!  The peppers added a little extra crunch to compliment the corn and made for a great texture. Be prepared for a lot of leftovers because this recipe makes a TON of soup (you can always cut the ingredients in half or freeze some for later)!


Here is what you need:
  • 3 tbsp of olive oil
  • 3 stalks of celery, diced
  • half of a red bell pepper, diced
  • half of a yellow onion, diced
  • half of a potato, peeled and diced
  • 6 cups of corn (you can cheat like me and use frozen)
  • 2 cups of unsweetened soy milk
  • 2 cups of vegetable broth
  • 1 tbsp of Cajun Seasoning
  • 1 tsp of black pepper
  • crushed red peppers
I followed the recipe as it was on the website, but added the crushed red peppers while sauteing the veggies.  I also used a bit more vegetable broth because when I was blending up the veggies it seemed a little thick. Here is how it went for me:


First, I chopped the celery, bell pepper, onion and potato.


Then, I sauteed the veggies in the olive oil along with the crushed red pepper.

After the veggies were cooked until soft (I would suggest putting the potato in first since that takes the longest), add the vegetable broth.

Next stir in half of the corn (3 cups)...

Once the corn softened I added it to the blender (in two batches) and blended until smooth.
 
Lastly, pour the soup back into your pot, add the remaining corn (3 cups) and stir. Once the corn is heated it is time to devour!


No comments:

Post a Comment