Wednesday, June 13, 2012

No Crust Quiche


I know most people do not get excited at the thought of a quiche, but this past Christmas we made this No Crust Quiche as one of the breakfast items and it changed my thoughts on the traditional dish (mostly taking the effort of making a homemade quiche, I buy the frozen ones frequently from TJ's).  It definitely wasn't the first time I had eaten this in my twenty four years, but it was the first time I appreciated the magic of a quiche.  Not only is it simple to make and healthy but it is also extremely cost effective and tastes great as leftovers. I have made it several times since, and it continues to impress me and hit the spot every time (My boyfriend loves it too and even requests it).  It is so easy to throw the ingredients together and pop it into the oven if you are expecting friends or family for brunch (I made this for Easter also - maybe it will become a holiday tradition).  If you are just making it for a few people, the leftovers are great for breakfasts during the week (just microwave), or if you like you can switch it up and eat it for lunch or dinner.

Here's what you need:
  • 1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
  • 10 eggs
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 pint cottage cheese
  • 1 pound shredded jack cheese
  • 1 small can ortega chilis
  • 1 small can chopped black olives
  • chopped mushrooms (optional) - I do not like mushrooms, so I leave these out


Toppings (pick and choose what you like):
  • sliced avocado
  • salsa or diced tomatoes
  • sour cream
  • diced jalapeños
We used diced jalapeños, tomatoes, and avocado

First, melt the butter (I just put it in a microwave-safe bowl and kept checking the microwave in 20 second increments until it was melted).  While butter is melting, crack all of the eggs into a bowl and beat.  Then add the melted butter.


Stir in the baking powder, flour, jack cheese, cottage cheese, olives, and chilis.


Once all ingredients are combined, pour into a large baking dish (approx. 9 x 12)


It will look like this:


We topped half with sliced jalapeños to test it out, but decided we prefer them diced on top once the quiche is cooked.


Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes,
then at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
You will know it is done once it starts to firm up and begins to brown.





Wait about 5-10 minutes for the quiche to cool, then cut and serve with your choice of toppings.  We also cooked bacon to eat with the quiche.  Enjoy!



1 comment: